Who Knows?
![]() |
| Anggalung From Bali (Black Cardigan), Nisa From Bintaro ( Khaki Hijab), Tiwi From Bogor (White blues) |
Episoden is a tool; practicing English here can be interesting and can certainly lead to progress, but it depends on how we engage in conversation. It's not just about asking questions; it's also about understanding our intentions based on a quick observation of our speaking partner. "Is it appropriate to ask this question?" is a crucial consideration. Trial and error are necessary, as essential as smiling while we talk. If we aim to expand our vocabulary in a specific topic, we should bring up subjects related to that topic. I remember a time, about six years ago, when I struggled to communicate with people; tears would often well up every time I tried to speak. This continued for about a year until I dedicated myself to extensive practice, eventually overcoming this hurdle. On Episoden, I discovered my strength in communication; I can adeptly introduce topics relevant to the diverse backgrounds of my conversation partners, whether they're older, the same age, or younger. These experiences have bolstered my confidence in face-to-face interactions, though they didn't yield instant results.
One mistake I made on Episoden was asking a new user about their perspective on common conversation starters. Typically, users initiate conversations with questions like, "How are you?" or "How was your day?" or inquire about one's profession or place of residence. When I curiously asked a new user about their thoughts on these questions, they responded uncomfortably, stating that such questions are commonplace and often don't require serious answers, similar to saying "Hi." Personally, I view language as intertwined with personal experiences; even when conversing in English, interpretations can be influenced by cultural backgrounds rather than strictly adhering to native English usage. This perspective may seem stubborn, but when I ask someone, "How are you?" I genuinely want to know about their well-being. If not, I prefer finding alternative questions. From this exchange, I've learned to play along when people on Episoden ask these repetitive questions, offering brief responses and steering the conversation toward new topics whenever possible. With only 7 minutes per session, discussing the same topics repeatedly can hinder progress, leading to complaints about stagnant English improvement on Episoden. However, the solution isn't to merely relay on Episoden; it's about preparing ourself before engaging in conversation.
Preparing doesn't necessarily mean creating a question list through research (though that's an option). Rather, it involves knowing what topics you'd like to discuss, based on your curiosity and interests. We're not as different from each other as we may think. Personally, I enjoy listening to podcasts and am quite contemplative; I often bring up topics inspired by my consumption of various media to Episoden. When I lack ideas, conversations often feel "empty." This suggestion may not apply to everyone, but for those who need it, it can enhance the Episoden experience. Peace.
I have been using Episoden for 1 year and 8 months regularly up until now. I have witnessed numerous changes on Episoden itself, with the team putting their best efforts into making the platform run better day by day. I am truly grateful for the existence of Episoden. As Taka told me, Episoden has become a part of our daily activities. It's not just a platform for practicing English; it's something more than that. We each have our own definition. It's about meeting people, making friends, sharing stories, learning from each other, experiencing a bit of conflict, and mixing all sorts of feelings.
Tiwi said, 'Finally, we met because of Episoden. What a great power Episoden has.' I couldn't agree more. I am so grateful to Mr. Yang and the team.
From Speakingclub and Episoden, I have made friends with people from different nationalities. Even though I haven't met most of them in person, they are my friends. I don't want to underestimate online friendships. When I decide to make a friend, I don't distinguish between online and offline friends. We are all friends, simple as that.



Komentar
Posting Komentar